- I suppose it is all about perspective… well most things are. Many things look different pending on the angle you look at them. Probably the simplest example is one of those magic eye trick pictures. We’ve all seen them. Large picture books piled high in Sam’s Club or in the discount sections of Barnes & Noble, the bight colors and designs all swirl together, and look like there should be something in it, but unless you focus correctly, all you see is what’s right there on the page. When you focus correctly, however, you get a 3-D image that – when done well –was completely invisible before and there’s even a depth to it. There isn’t just one large image, you can see a bit of a rail or a boarder around the edges, and things in the background. It’s hard to describe the feeling one gets when these images shift into focus… as a matter of fact, I don’t believe I can really even being to put into words. The closest I can think of is that it’s very close to the feeling I get when a matter of spiritual significance has come into focus, it’s more than the “ah, I get it” type feeling that comes with studying a new subject, but more along the lines of, just a clicking of knowledge when you realize it was there all the time, you just weren’t looking at it correctly.
It’s hard in today’s society to put things into the right perspective, so many issues must be handled right away and struggle to claim the top rank. In the hustle and bustle of life the most important things don’t scream their importance. They simply are, and we should know better than to put things before them… things like family, church, personal care, service… the things that really matter. Well yes work is important, but you can generally change your job, it may be hard depending on the state of the economy, but it is possible… but you can’t change your family, and no matter the state of the economy the gospel is still true. People still have needs, and you still need to be taken care of.
I started this little bit of random writing to say how I put my weight loss journey into perspective today. I got a calendar template from microsofts website, wrote in the dates of every Saturday from now until I think I’ll hit my goal weight and marked down what I want to weigh when, realistically, and my milestones along the way… each additional 10% of my starting weight and every 25lbs lost. I figure yeah, there will be bumps an slowdowns along the way, but this journey of regaining myself isn’t any less important than reading my scriptures or telling my family that I love them, and it wont stop when all 144lbs of extra me go away, it’s really just beginning. I spent a little over 9 years getting lost along the weight gain path, and am swiftly moving back the way I came, pound by pound… this is a path I’ve already been down, right now I’m just back tracking. The real journey begins when I hit my goal and have to start on a new path. Luckily if I do what I know is right, and keep things in perspective, and stay focused, it wont take me another 9 years to hit goal. I’d like to have my picture, before and after, posted with Weight Watchers with the caption “results not typical” marked below my name with my weight loss success. We’ll see if by 4th of July 2009 I’m not my goal weight, because that should be my 36th birthday present to David. I’d like to say that I’m twice the woman I used to be without it being literal. To put where I’m coming from and where I’m going into perspective, I will have lost 48% of my weight.
That’s all I can think of for now….
Monday, May 12, 2008
Random Thoughts
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I just want to tell you that you are so awesome. You've made a concrete goal for yourself, and you're doing what it takes to reach it. I am so impressed and inspired, I'm going to go do some yoga right now! (Not kidding! :)) I have no doubt you'll reach your goal, Sarah! Keep doin it!!
Post a Comment